A great midweek recipe that is both easy and quick to make, for all the days where you just don’t have the time or the energy to make food but still want to have something good to eat. By buying almost ready pulled beef, pulled pork or even pulled turkey you can save yourself a lot of time to enjoy your evening with something more relaxing. This burger is just amazing, the juicy meat together with the crunchy and sour apples, the pickled onions and this tender bread will feel like heaven. And the fact that you can make it yourself, fast, easy and cheap will make that feeling even better.
Start by deciding what kind of meat you would like, if you are a vegetarian then use anything you like instead of the meat. You can use whatever you like, I picked the pulled beed since it is very juicy and it works very well with the rest of the condiments. You can use a regular patty och any type of burger, even leftover meat would work nice here. Give this a try and tell me what you think 🙂
Pulled Beef Burger
Preparation time: 5-15 min Total time: 30-40 min (depending on the meat)
Makes: 2-4 Burgers
- 1 (500 g) package of ready pulled beef (or another type of your choice)
- Burger buns
- 1 green apple
- Pickle onions (recipe here )
- 2 dl of plain turkish yogurt
- Juice from 1 lime
- Salt and pepper
How to make it:
- Follow the instructions on the package of your meat, most of them take about 20-30 minutes in the oven until ready.
- While the meat is getting ready, mix the yogurt with the lime juice, salt and pepper. Let it sit in the fridge until you need to use it.
- Slice the apple really thin, it’s is best if the apple is firm.
- When the meat is ready, break it apart with two forks then let the meat sit in the juice for 2-3 min.
- Now, lets put the burger together. Put as much meat as you like, remember to spoon some of the juice over the meat on the bun.
- Place the apple slices on top of the meat, then the pickles onions (you can find the recipe here)
- Spread a good amount of the yogurt on the top part of the bun, put the “lid” on top.
- Enjoy with fries, chili cheese or just a cold drink. 🙂
These onions are not just pretty with their pink color in this cute jar, they are also very versatile and delicious. You can make this in advance and store it in the fridge for weeks. You can use these onions in salads, burgers, sandwiches, ramen and as a part of a side dish. They are sweet, crunchy with a citrus flavor that lifts everything you add them to and make most dishes taste better. There is no preparation time needed for this recipe, the total time for these onions is about 30 min, but during 15 min of that time the onions will be in the fridge. You can use any of the optional flavoring ingredients below to make this recipe your own, I use all the mentioned ingredients to make these crunchy treats. If you want, you can leave out the chili or/and the garlic if you don’t like the taste.
Preperation time: none Total time: 30 min
- 1 medium / large onion. (depending on the size of your jar)
- 1 medium-sized clean jar
- 1/2 litter of white vinegar / or any light vinegar you like (we will not need it all)
- I-2 chili, red, green or yellow (optional)
- 2-3 garlic cloves, peeled (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon of sugar or honey (use what you have at home)
- 1/2 tablespoon of peppercorns, mixed colors of pepper to make it more fun
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 litter of boiling hot water
How to make it:
- Start by peeling and slicing the onion. Slice right through the onion to form rings, separate the rings gently and put them in a bowl/pot that is heat resistant. Pour the boiling hot water and let the onions sit there until you are ready with the rest. Do not put the pot on the stove, just leave it, the heat from the water is enough.
- Wash the jar and the lid in really hot water. You don’t need to dry the jar, just add a couple of tablespoons of the vinegar with the chopped chilies, garlic, sugar or honey, salt and the peppercorns. Mix well with a spoon until the honey or the sugar has dissolved.
- When the onions are soft, drain away the water, and put the onions in the jar. Push them in the jar, but not that much, to make room for all of the onion slices. Tap up with more vinegar , all the way to cover the onions. If you use a strong white vinegar, then read nr 4.
- If the vinegar you use is really strong, then you can balance it out with some water in the jar. I use a vinegar that i found at my local store, it was medium “strong” with a lemon flavor, so I did not have to tap up with some water at the end.
- Put the lid on the jar, and give it a gentle shake to mix everything together.
- Let it sit in the fridge for 10-15 min before you eat. You will notice that the vinegar will turn pink by that time, store in the fridge for 4-6 weeks. Just make sure that you store it well and that your jar was really clean when you used it.
- Enjoy 🙂